Sniggler

Given your responses above, if I were you, I'd look for a 16 foot boat. I prefer fiberglass, because it's warmer and glides over shallow rocks better. I have had two glass boats, and currently fish a Lavro. Lavros and Clackacrafts are both extremely durable, and will take pretty powerful hits and come out OK. The chines (bottom edge corner) are just about indestructable. The sides can get punctured, but not easily. I know this from experience.

The warmth thing is not to be underestimated - metal boat floors will just suck the heat out of your feet.

You'll notice that the sharp chined aluminum boats will handle a scootch more precisely than round edged glass boats. It is not enough to worry about, but it is there. If you were planning on floating extremely technical water like the Soleduc, the durability edge of aluminum would be nice. However, you say you are a beginner at rowing - so you have NO BUSINESS floating the Soleduc, Hoh, or some of the other peninsula rivers for at least a few years.

For most of the rivers around Seattle, like the Skagit, Sky, Snoqualmie, Satsop, etc., you'll be fine with any boat, if you learn basic techniques and use your head.

If I were you, I'd watch the ads for a used Clackacraft or Lavro. You might call Lavro and Clackacraft, and see what they have in the way of used boats - they both usually have a selection.

It's a good idea to spend a little time at the ramps at the end of the day, and see what comes off the river. This will give you an idea of what you want to look for.

Finally, in any boat, take a good look at the trailer. Some of the used boats will be on trash trailers, that are more trouble than they are worth. You want a rig with 14 inch wheels, and a spare tire. The larger wheels are helpful for navigating rough put ins. Look for rust as well.

The previous poster is right about the oars. Longer rather than shorter is better. I use 9 footers, but I have a smaller boat (15 feet). You can spend a lot of money on oars, but the basic spruce sticks by smoker are hard to beat. I use Cataraft oars, which Lavro sells. They are light, stiff and sweet, but spendy. Don't know if I would spend the money again, however.

Finally, a safety tip. One of the most important pieces of safety gear in a boat is, are you ready, a pee bucket. That's right. I will not let anyone let fly over the side. 80% of the male drowning victims that the Coast Guard recovers have their fly unzipped. Make your guest use the can, and they'll be safer.

Good luck, and welcome to the ranks of the boat poor.