The key is to use Flourescent materials in the jigs, nearly all the colors of marabou are available in flourescents as well as alot of the other materials such as chenille, thread etc. I always use flourescents if they are available because of their inherent ability to be seen in darker water i.e. deep or off color water as well as shallow water conditions. I agree with Mark that from my experience the 3 best colors for steelhead are pink, white and black. Both white and black fish well in clear water and off color waters, they are colors that silhouette well. I look at pink as a color that Steelhead love, with different variations of pink (hot pink, pearl pink, light pink etc.) working under different conditions. They are definitly the "go to" colors in most situations. Some of the hottest jigs over the years have been those colors or combinations of those colors (pink/white, white, black/hot pink etc.) The other color that is one of my fav's is red, it works well for both summer and winter fish and works well in combination the the other 3 colors.