A bait ban, like any other regulation, should be effective at increasing the likelihood of achieving a specific goal. A general bait ban might do that, but it isn't the least restrictive method for doing so. So after identifying the specific management objective, it is necessary to sort through the alternative measures that would get us there. And considerate folk that we are, we would choose the least restrictive measure. So time and place bait bans will usually make more sense than general ones.

I think angler education can do wonders as well. So talk to guys when you see them hooking tiddlers. Now if they're creeling the little buggers, they may not be receptive to enlightenment. (You might have to try another tactic.) Smolts surely do attack bait, but sometimes they won't leave flies alone, either. If I'm fishing flies with barbs, I'll pinch the barb if I get hits from smolts. If they keep on hitting, I usually move to another pool, as the little buggers are often clustered in certain areas. I figure I'm not likely to hook what I'm after if I can't get my fly past all the smolts.

A good thread. Nice to see folks discussing the issue instead of bashing opinions, ideas, and each other.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.