Been there buddy. Especially @ the cowlitz. You never know what you're going to hook into down there.
I had this same problem a few years ago. Like Bob said, my trick has been to keep the rod tip low. It's possible that you may have foul hooked that fish as well. When you've got a fish in the chops (the preferred method) smile Keep that tip low but NEVER point it toward the fish. I like to stick mine under water and pump it a couple of times. 99% of the time I am able to get the fish to turn around. If your fish was indeed stuck, try holding your tip up high. If it's moving frantically, it isn't stuck. If it feels snagged, let your line go slack. Many times a fish will wiggle out of a snag fairly easily. Another trick is (I've done this at the Cowlitz) to find a large boulder and throw it where you think your fish is lodged. Sometimes it'll spook em straight to your feet. Anyhow, never horse a fish. At the cow I like to throw 12 # line with 10 # maxima leader. I am usually able to land my fish rather quickly once I get them turned around. Remember, keep that tip to your side and gently pump. If he won't cooperate, you've probably got him in the wrong spot.
Best of luck
Cuttie