My dad flew the gov up to some political party one time. I told him, he should have opened the door and pushed him out, it woulda done us all a favor.
But anyway look, the reason there are no steelhead on the nisqually even with all the restrictions is because they have no place to spawn(2 dams Alder lake), just like the steelhead on the cowlitz. Possibly the mashell river(trib to the nisq) would work if they put some fish in there i know some salmon go up it.
I honestly doubt the hatchery smolt have nearly the negative effect on the wild fish like you claim compared to the damage blocking a river like the barrier dam does on the cow for example or the high pollution or stream bed distruction on some rivers. Also those commercial guys are hard working people out there trying to make a living just like us, the state has f'd them over just as bad as us, too.
The suggestion to build huge hatchery runs on rivers with "killer dams" is a great idea, thats what the nisqually needs and good habitat management of non disturbed streams to increase wild stocks is a good plan, will the state do it? probably not.
matt