Well, I just have to post some more on this issue...I cant help myself

So many of us take what Smalma says to heart, so I thought I would repost a post of his from over 2 years ago.

I to have used the analogy of keeping fish out of water no longer than I can hold my breath as a guideline for years. However in recently thinking about the validity of that rule I feel it needs to be updated. "Hold the fish out of water no longer than you can hold your breath after running a 6 minute mile" - then would be truly comparable to the fish's situation.
It should be clear to all that restraining a fish for additonal time needed for a picture does increase the stress under which the fish is placed. I certainly under stand the desire for a picture of an exception fish (first fish, true trophy, etc) but do we need pictures of every 10 pound nate caught and released.

For you shutter-bugs why not "focus" on action shots. To me a picture of partner playing a fish with a big-*** grin on his mug, an action shot of fish being released, snow-capped mountains in the background with angler with bend rod in the foreground all do more to capture the day on the river than another "hero shot". Those are the memories that what goes it my mental data bank.

Successful catch and release means doing all that the angler can do to reduce his/her impact on the fish. That may mean foregoing pictures or even intentionally shaking or breaking the fish off instead of bring it completely to hand.

Tight lines

Smalma