Quote:
Originally posted by MacSteely:
Just beginning to lean the ends and outs of fishing for Springers and of course I have a ton of questions but for the sake of not boring one to death I will begin my soujourn by asking what I call my first installment of a multitude of inquiries with basic salmon rods and reels 101 ...
Anyway, what would you suggest I start out with in regards to a good (but not too spendy $$ ) Rod and Reel for fishing salmon with? Is it possible to spend less than $150 and get a quality combination?

Thanks-

Mac
Mac - be more specific. Exactly how do you plan on fishing for these salmon? Downrigging, or mooching in the salt? Drift fishing in a river? Float fishing in a river? Hover fishing from a boat? Boondoggin and/or side drifting from a boat? Running divers? Flossing from the bank, etc.

Personally, I'd tell you to tailor your fishing gear towards the methods you plan on using, not necessarily the species you are targeting.

Tell us how you plan on fishing, and you'll probably get a better idea of what model/size rod to look for. I'd think that rod type, length, and lure/line size ranges would be more important over specific brands of rods.

Same applies for the reel.