I was driving up I-5 northbound from Olympia, and unfortunately was stuck in some serious traffic backup.

As I passed over the Nisqually River bridge, I looked up stream, and there was a net crossing the ENTIRE river! I believe only members of the Nisqually Tribe can net this section of river. I have understood that Indians netting a river cannot net the entire span of the river.

What are the rules for Native American netting? Though I try to understand the Native American's perspective (heck, my great grandmother was 100% Native American) of netting rivers, it seems awful shortsighted to net a river in this manner. I mean, digressing slightly, but the fish that are being harvested are the best of the best! These are the fish that have made it past every natural and man-made circumstance to make it back to their natal river to procreate and continue their genes, just to get netted right before they get their job done.

And, if the nets are not supposed to span the river, who enforces whatever the rules are? Who does one contact if a Native American is not conducting themselves according to 'the rules'?

Look forward to educating me on the rules. Thanks!