The Governor may not have direct control over the WDFW but the Director serves at her discretion. I wrote the Governor and asked that she replace Dr. Koenings. Included is my letter;

I am writing to you, Governor Gregoire to ask that you replace Jeff Koenings, current Director of WDFW. Under Dr. Koenings "leadership" our state fisheries have continued to backslide. It is only under public pressure that we have been able to reduce the slaughter of our wild steelhead. Dr. koenings plan seems to be to allow more harvest by commercial interests an reduced opportunity for the sports fishing community.
This state once had world class sports fishing available on both our coastal and intercostal waters. Increased commercial fishing by the tribes and non-tribal fishers have depleted the resources. Sports fishing brings in many times more dollars to the state than commercial fishing ever will. Bottom draggers have destroyed the habitat on our coastal waters and may never be repaired. Intercostal commercial fishing have depleted the stocks of once abundant bottomfish to the point that now most areas are closed to sports fishing.
It is obvious from Dr. Koenings previous work in Alaska that he is pro commercial fishing, our crab and shrimp fisheries in intercostal waters are heavily weighted to the commercial interests. Sports crabbers and shrimpers have continued to see their fishing time reduced while the commercial interests have enjoyed record harvests and extended seasons. Please do your part to correct the problems that we now have in the WDFW under Dr. Koenings leadership. I ask you to replace Dr. Koenings with a more knowledgeable Director who understands the needs of the citizenry of Washington. Doen't just get mad, do something