I would answer that water conditions will make a huge difference. Right, now with our low flows I would be tossing jigs. I know that several top O.P. guides are fishing jigs right now. Why? Because they believe they are the best tool in current conditions.

There was a time when I would have said that eggs would almost always out fish jigs, but not anymore. I have seen jigs outperform eggs on more than one occasion.

The day I truly became a jig convert was on the Kalum about ten years ago. My buddy and I fished spawn bags under a float. Noel Gyger was our guide. Buddy had a bad day. He hooked one while Noel and I hooked about ten between us. The next day, just to give buddy a shot, I switched to jigs and he stayed with the "proven" spawn bags. I landed seven that day he landed one. I also lost perhaps the biggest steelhead I ever hooked. He taught me to only use jigs with strong hooks.

I think the wise man does not limit himself to only one lure or bait.

Not that long ago almost no one was using jigs. Times change, as do hot lures. But the jig is here to stay, because it is almost infinitely variable in size, color and materials. Plus there’s, nothing that says you can’t fish a jig with eggs. I often tip my jig with a very small spawn bag.