I go up two or three times a month. ninety nine percent of the time I answer a few questions both going and coming and I am on my way. Of all the times I have been up there I have only had the truck checked once. Usually the least amount of questions come on the Canadian side. I do find that every once in a while Security is stepped up, mostly on the American side. Seems to slow it up a little, but that is about it.

You can bring one case of beer or a liter of booze. If you are a little over most of the officials don't care. But, if you try to bring in twice that amount you can expect to be charged 300% of the purchase price as Duty.
Just tell the truth, these guys are not looking for everyday folks who are a little over their duty free limit.

Gas is cheaper in Abbotsford. If you go through Sumas gas up there. Last week I was in Tofino and could not believe that gas was about 6 cents cheaper a liter then the Vancouver area.

Another trick to know is when things get crowded get into the duty free lane and stop in the store or go through the parking lot. When you come out you will be directed into the middle of the pack. I only use the truck crossing for this reason - well and to buy booze.

Back in May I sat through a presentation by Immigration/Customs on the Blaine Border. They showcased many of the cases they had during the month of April. It was amazing to see all of the contraband, mostly B.C. Bud being smuggled by everyone from Grandparents in Motor Homes to fisherman.

Give those Customs/Immigration people a break. There is a real problem up there with Drug smuglling and illegal alien smuggling. Sure, every once in a while you get an official who is having a bad day, but that has been rare in my experience.

The dollars, yes it is real expensive up there in the Vancouver area. But, when I get the discounts on my Visa from the exchange rate it tends to take the bite off.

Also, when you stop at Duty Free I would suggest you just get the form for your GST rebate and mail it in. Yes, Duty Free will cash you out, but they pay a much lower exchange rate in U.S. money. On the other hand if it is just a few bucks, who cares.

Safe travels!