Team Effort Key to Restoring Salmon Habitat

EATONVILLE (October 10, 2005) Volunteers and students from across the Nisqually River watershed will improve salmon habitat by planting hundreds of trees along Ohop Creek. The planting is part of an effort by the Nisqually Tribe, along with a private landowner and other community partners, to restore salmon habitat in the Ohop Valley.

"Ohop Creek is where we can do a lot of good for salmon," said Jeanette Dorner, salmon recovery manager for the Nisqually Tribe. "Having a private landowner so fully involved in habitat restoration is great." The trees will provide shade and cover for salmon along the creek.

Roland Litzenberger, who owns the property through his homebuilding business, approached the tribe about the possibility of habitat restoration. "It's a win win situation for everyone," said Litzenberger. "I'm hoping that the salmon can be restored and I'm hoping that my kids can fish here in the future."

The planting is funded through the Pierce County Community Salmon fund, with matching being provided by the county's Stream Team. "This really is a community salmon restoration project," said Debby Hyde, Special Project Coordinator with Pierce County. "Restoring salmon habitat is most successful when it is approached as a team effort."

WHAT: Ohop Creek Planting

WHERE: Off of Highway 161 at Ohop Creek.
Call Don Perry for directions, (360) 438-8687

WHEN: Saturday, October 29
9 a.m. to noon

To volunteer for the planting, contact Don Perry at (360) 438 8687 or dperry@nwifc.org
eoconnell@nwifc.org
(360) 528-4304