I've gaffed them to 60 pounds but recommend the harpoon on anything much bigger than 40 or so. As previous mentioned, netting is also an option on fish to 50-60 pounds or so. If you're going to gaff them, get 'em BEHIND the head, not through the head. Too much chance of knocking them off with a poorly aimed head shot. I lay the gaff right behind the head, with the hook out of sight on the back side, and pull it to me. If possible, bring them in the boat with the same motion, but the bigger they are, the harder that is to do. As previously noted, they get a little excited when the gaff hits home, so hang on tight and get 'em in the boat as fast as possible. I usually smack 'em once when they hit the floor, then cut behind the gills and through the base of the tail as quickly as I can. Cutting, roping and all that stuff outside the boat can lead to lost fish, so get them in the boat first and worry about clean-up after they're under control. If you shoot 'em, the advice to shoot right behind the dorsal eye is sound; that's where their little brain is located. And it doesn't have to be with a .410 or big-bore handgun; a .22 works just fine if it's in the right place. Good luck, wish I was going tomorrow, too!