I just got back from a weekend trip to Odessa. We had a great time and i figured i would throw up a few pictures to share.

The quail numbers were excellent and so were the pheasant numbers but unfortunately the rooster to hen count was way down from normal. Out of twenty plus birds only three were roosters. Saturday I got ten quail and a rooster with fourteen shells which has to be a personal record and this morning I managed somehow to miss one of the sweetest flushes ever- right in front of me. This rooster, practically in slow motion, got up out of a creekbed maybe fifteen feet below me and made this slow swinging arch ninety degrees to my left. Right at the flush I stopped and waited for him to get further out so not to make a pillow case out of him and watched as he sailed away unscathed after two misplaced shots. Unbelievable. I should have lowered my gun mount and swung back through him in hindsight b; I know the first shot was behind him eventhough I had a sustained lead that looked perfect. I expected him to crumble like a house of cards and when he didn't I then overcompensated and lead him too much. Classic blunder.

I will also introduce my Springer, Lola who had an excellent trip as well. She managed to hook the top of her head on a barbwire fence, puncture a pad on more of the same and presumably took a stick to her right eye. She is fine but definitely worn out completely. Tonight she is a little stiff and deserves some TLC after miles and miles of busting cover, flushing a copule hundred birds and bringing fourteen to hand.

Pictures to follow

Attachments
1.jpg

Description: Our hosts house to looking to the east- private land as far as you can see- it isall ours for next two days!

2.jpg

Description: Same with a view to the west

3.jpg

Description: Lola and I are ready to hit it!

4.jpg

Description: My buddy Chris is pretending to cry because he is stuck on the worng side of a creek. he lived...

5.jpg

Description: Good job Lola!

Edited by JTD (10/20/08 03:13 AM)
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.