Originally Posted By: Todd
I think his point is that being multi-faceted and being satisfied with pulling a fish or two out of different types of water over a day has become antiquated, while side-drifting up a dozen hatchery turds has become fashionable to the point that some anglers find themselves pretty ego-driven to just go out and put up numbers doing it.

I'll take two wild fish in a ten hour day of working hard over eight fish standing in front of the hatchery raceway any day, and that attitude seems to be disappearing from our sport.

I don't care if people sidedrift out of their sleds...whatever floats their boat...so long as they don't mind that I don't care for it, even a little, and won't be impressed by a box of bananas from the Cowlitz or Lewis, or something like that.

Fish on...

Todd

OK....

1. I doubt anybody cared to read everything I read as it is way too long and reflective of the meaningless law degree I'm supposedly about to receive.

2. I can agree with you and realize to a point that maybe that is 'zog's point.

3. My point, that still runs counter to your's, is that side drifting isnt that simple and, also, has nothing to do with hatchery fish vs. wild fish.

(This isn't law school so I'm done with numbers) I think that hatchery fish (or turds) has nothing to do with it. The fact is that you can work your ass off to catch a fish in a narrow slot by drift fishing from an anchored boat or by wading, OR, you can do it sidedrifting with skilled boat operators AND anglers. I admit, some spots are not possilble to side drift effectively and consistently, but most, if not many, are. Caveat is that I'm much more familiar with OR streams vs. WA streams.

My point is only that, in my experience in oregon, guys like my college buddies and top-notch guides caught (and still catch) fish consistently side-drifting slots that most guys wont side drift. It isn't by any means necessarily easy, or have anything to do with hatchery fish.

The fact is, side drifting is a better mouse trap in the hands of people that master it (read ALL people that master it). Hate or like it, I can almost guarantee it isn't going anywhere. In many situations it is just plain more effective in the hands of skilled anglers and boatsmen. (BTW, one great example is the nestucca, where motors are banned until april ----> on most days you have to have great fishermen and rowers to catch double digits on that river. If everyone isn't on their game, I can almost guarantee that drift fishermen and plug pullers will out fish side drifters, especially above first bridge.).

Okay I'm done.

Later all.

Dom

Edited by NWaddict (05/19/09 11:17 PM)