That questions is currently being 'debated' on a couple other fly sites. Beyond the legal definitions applied by States to "Fly Fishing Only" waters, the answer is . . . whatever you want it to be!

Fly rods are used for all kinds of things. Bob uses one to soak eggs under the boat for Kasilof Silvers. Others toss mono on the reel and drift-fish with them. Some put on dink floats and fish 1/4oz jigs. You could probably herd cats with one too.

I'm of the opinion that you use the best tool for the job. If I want to fish jigs, it's a gear rod (preferably a centerpin). Ditto for drift fishing. I don't enjoy casting big hunks of lead with a fly rod. Others can call it flyfishing if they want - I'm not going to waste time arguing.

It cracks me up tho, people that want to say "I caught a Steelhead on a flyrod". They get some guide on the Sol Duc to Back-Troll their bobber and jig (oops . . . I meant Indicator and Nymph) behind some big boulders using the classic 'swing' of the bow of the drift boat to get their offering in position. Eventually it's FISH ON and they get to pose with their prize.

For me, flyfishing isn't about anything other than that I enjoy the experience of swinging flies, either floating line or sinktip, for steelhead more than any other type of fishing. I'm not claiming it's the most difficult or the most artistic. I just enjoy the process of working a run this way.

As Skykomish Sunrise suggested in an earlier post, if the water isn't suited to swinging a fly I'll just fish with a gear rod. More fun than trying to make the fly rod do something it's not well suited for (IMO).

It's your fly rod - I think you should use it however you want to!

YMMV,

Brian / Doublespey