I would say that the one thing that seperates the successfull hunter and the other guy, is the time spent adapting. Especially as the season drags on. To me its all about the AZZ time. We spend countless hours and miles scouting to find the "X". Regardless if we are hunting ducks or geese, finding the birds, and then paying attention to what they are doing makes all the difference. If you set up the same spread day in and day out regardless of where you are, birds will wise up to it. There are days we may only take out 8 to 10 duck decoys and be back to the truck with our limits by 8:30. There are also other times were we drag almost every decoy we have out of the loft and throw them out on the river.

There was one hunt this year that really makes my point clear. We had been watching a field that had some where between 4 and 5 thousand geese in it for a couple of days before we actually hunted it. Saturday morning roled around and we got all set up right where the birds were. The first few flights came, looked and left. We started talking about what "we" were doing wrong. After a bit of discussion, I remembered the afternoon before watching the birds poor into this field and saying to myself, "wow, they sure are quite tonight". This was out of the ordinary for this area as geese are usually VERY vocal as the settle into a field. So, for the next flight we just decided to not call, and just use our jerk goose decoys. It only took our 4 man party 5 more flights of geese to limit out.

Paying attention to all the Subtlies of what birds are doing when they are comfortable and then adapting to that will make you more succesfull day in and day out.