Originally Posted By: WN1A

Originally Posted By: AkKings
Imo, ADF&G has alot better handle on whats going on in their state then WDFW will ever have.

That is probably true for sockeye, chum, and pinks, but it is not the case for chinook. Acquaintances who are fish bios, who are dedicated chinook sports fishermen and have lived and worked in Alaska for 30 years, say that ADF&G doesn't have a clue about how to manage chinook. The chinook problems in the AYK region underscore the poor management. The Yukon Panel of the Pacific Salmon Commission doesn't seem to think Alaska's management of chinook fisheries is that good. I think there is at least one chinook population outside of the AYK region that is being considered for ESA listing. ESA listing will force ADF&G to manage saltwater chinook fisheries in a manner where stock composition is a strong consideration. In that respect WDFG knows a lot more about what is going on than ADF&G. Ultimately I suspect that interception of ESA listed fish in Alaskan waters, in directed fisheries and bycatch in other fisheries will lead to a reduction in Washington fish being caught in Alaska. Because ESA listed fish are seldom tagged it will require more genetic data to arrive at that point. I know that Alaska did some genetic studies of the catch composition in the Copper River Delta fishery but I haven't seen any reports on the results of the study. Not all kings labeled as Copper River kings come from the Copper River.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I based that opinion on what I see happening in S.E not the entire state. My opinion was based on the annual king limits which are decided by pre-season AI predictions which in most cases seem to be very accurate, 2008 for example they announced the extremely low AI (in April) and set the lowest king limits I've seen in 20 years, that season ended up being by far the worst king fishing I've experienced. Their predictions for run size/strength are generally very close, IMO, can't say that about a number of Wa. run predictions, Columbia river springers for example, where do they pull those numbers from? I've got a guess wink