Originally Posted By: Todd
Revo Toro 50's, 200 yards of 15# Maxima...it's not always about line capacity, so much as spool diameter...if you lose 20 yards over a couple of days off of a reel that only holds 125 yards of line, and then making a moderate cast and hooking up, and find yourself 40 yards away from a hot fish, your spool will be about as big around as your pinky.

This causes two problems...one, it greatly changes the drag setting as the spool diameter gets smaller (drag effectively gets much tighter), and it affects your line pickup speed consderably, too...6:1 on a spool the size of your pinky versus 6:1 on a spool an inch and a half across is a significant difference in the amount of line you take up with each crank.

Plus, the drags seem to be much stronger on the larger capacity reels.

Fish on...

Todd

MONEY!

I shake my head everytime I see a guy fishing a half radius of braid and he tells me "I don't need a full spool of braid... this reel holds plenty." Well yeah, he may be right about how much line he's got.... but he's working that line on the most inefficient portion of the spool.

That dude is way better off spooling up 3/4 of the spool's radius with old crappy Danielson mono then topping off the last 1/4 of the spool with the same amount of braid he started with.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!