Excellent wisdom to bait tip the steelhead jig or not, from all the previous post. I don't bait tip my steelhead jigs very often either for the reasons already stated, it tends to ruin the action and profile of the steelhead jig. I will always scent the jig head where legal though.

There are a few artificial and natural baits that will add enticing action, scent and improve the profile of the steelhead jig though. Think long and worm like, as Castaway stated. Marabou/Rabbit collared steelhead jigs work well in combination with standard size plastic steelhead worms. Two baits I'll use sometimes with full feather/hair bodied steelhead jigs are Squid tentacles/strips and Berkley Powerbait Trout Worms. These two baits add to overall appeal of the full bodied steelhead jig and do not ruin the action or profile of the full bodied steelhead jig, but add to it. I will cure and dye the squid/tentacles just as you would any steelhead/salmon bait. You can cut strip/worm like tipping baits from the body of the squid also.

Here is a bait some fisherman are using, what looks like very small octopus tentacles for tipping their steelhead jigs. I have not personally seen this bait, so I can not tell you for sure what they are. They do not reveal what the bait actually is.

http://www.sticklebackbait.com/

Edited by Grayghost (01/18/11 04:38 PM)