The Big White would be prime Summer Steelhead Habitat.
Lying between the Wind and Klickitat Rivers, which both have native Summers, it seems a logical step would be to get some native stocks spawning in there rather sooner than later.

I know this will probobly never happen but both rivers have fish ladders on falls where they count Summers, they also know about what percentage jump the falls. The Wind has had intense study, some rehabiltation and more importantly ceased hatchery production in 1997. They could capture adults, transfer then to the Big White. I would think they could find a side channel somewhere with enough cover for the adults to spend a couple months ensuring they dont just swim back out.

I do realize the natives taken out of either river is not good but if you look at the Wind it sees an average year of about 600 spawners, in 88 and 03 they saw over a thousand. Pick a year when adult numbers are up or at least average move some Nativers over give it a little kick start with logic instead of hatchey fish.

The Gorge is an awsome place and I have fond memories fishin in sneakers and swimming after fish or to fish in the most wicked gorge I have ever been in. This site has some great pics of the area. http://www.daysontheriver.com/rivertrips/wind2.htm

Why not do the same on the Elwa, the Sol Duc has a healty wild steelhead poulation. Hatchery fish are not the answer.