Ah, my thought was just to let all see the TV spot for information. Much of the other stuff here has been beat on in another thread so no need to go there but I think I will throw this out and hopefully we think before beating out profanity on the key board but I doubt it. So I will put these points out to look at. Salmon only.

First what would the impact to the IN RIVER sport fishery be if the Humtulips Hatchery shut down? Chinook Not much? Big time? I think maybe not much. Big effect on non treaty net as that would do them under. In fact it would reduce the impacts to Chehalis bound Chinook as give or take 20% of the Hump targeted non treaty Chinook end up being Chehalis. It would reduce QIN tribal fishing as the river would have to be managed natural spawners only. So sports loose hatchery fish, but we loose the non treaty nets so that brings the sports share back up, even up?

Coho? Clueless as I do not have a feel for that fishery but it certainly would be reduced. Commercial out so does it impact the quality of the sport fishery? The tribe would be reduced to be sure and ain't no way a non treaty net would be a go, so good? Bad?

This ends up being the question. If WDF&W continues utilize the hatchery production for primarily the QIN and the non treaty nets then what is the benefit to the in river sportsman? Remove the hatchery production which removes the non treaty nets, requires the QIN & WDF&W to manage for wild populations only, is the in river fishery better or worse? No hatchery no C&R for marked fish in years of low returns so reduced harvest but would not that happen anyway? Think about it. This is a math thing.

At present WDF&W R-6 and the QIN regard the in river sport fishery as a secondary targeted fishery that utilizes the escapement as the population fished. The goal is to harvest every fish above the escapement goals BEFORE they get up river to the sports. So with taxes and licenses you foot the bill and WHO gets the benefit?

Have fun.

Edited by Rivrguy (03/15/12 08:51 AM)