my first archery deer was taken on Tiger Mtn, up top near what used to be a tower of some sort. There was 3" fresh snow that late November day in 1977. A decent 2pt blacktail buck, following 2 does. One shot at 25 yards with my Jenning T-Star bow, 50-55lb draw. The buck piled up after going over 70 yards, blood all over the snow. Funny that was a large draw poundage back then; sights were metal pins that I colored the round tip with nail polish; no peep sight, you kind of shot instinctive but pins helped some and a 30 yard shot was a long shot. Alum arrow with simple two edge broadhead. if I hadn't passed on the does, there would have not been a buck down. That 2pt was a good 10 minutes behind those two does. >--> so Patience can help you in a lot of different ways when using stick-n-string.

I still rifle hunt too and multi season tag brought me back to archery. now with a 2nd home in AZ, my late archery season is in AZ for OTC deer during December holidays & full month of January.
now shoot a SBXT, custom cam, tested 73lb draw, 302FPS, Armortech sight w/fiber pins but still no peep sight but rather the Anchor Sight alignment device, super good alignment took eliminates the peep, improved my groupings and takes me to true end of shooting light. Unlike the peep where I always lost the last 10+ minutes of legal shooting light. Carbon express arrows, Slick trick broadhead. and my effective range, under good conditions, is now 65 yards.
>-->so practice will get you there for western range shooting yardage.
>--> my hunting range has increased but this holds true to this day: know thy wind direction and keep the wind blowing towards you.

Edited by MAVsled (04/25/12 11:46 PM)