Originally Posted By: Carcassman
I am making my way through Bob Hooton's "Skeena Steelhead". In it, much of the discussion is about the century of mis-managment of the steelhead. But he does have some neat chapters on the birth and growth of the sport fishery on each of the tribs, such as the Kispiox. The fishing "back then", even after the commercial fisheries had clobbered the run, must have been simply amazing.

Bob notes, too, that the watershed wasknown for abundant 1-3 pound 'bows, tons of Dollies, and coho that have similarly "vanished".

The wild bows which are generally in that 2-3 pound range seem to be coming back. Although normally it is fairly easy to tell the difference between a juvenile steelhead and a rainbow, many races of steelhead up there stay in the fresh water twice as long which allows them to literally get 1-3 pounds ( believe it or not) before they migrate out. I believe this helps them to have a greater chance to survive the rigors of the ocean environment and make it to adulthood. Just my 2 cents.