Chromeslayer,
Thats a pretty hard slam on a guy thats looking for advice.If I was him I would take a remark like that pretty personal.
I think that if somebody is looking for advice a straight answer is the best.Who knows you might need a little yourself sometime.I dont think you would appreciate the same sort of reply.

I've bought rifles with scopes on them that I didnt like.Couldnt imagine why a person would put a cheap scope on an expensive,or just good rifle.Especially magnums.Just doesnt make sense to me.
Seems like a good reason to upgrade to me.How about you.

Or maybe he hunted open sights and wanted to try a scope.I have used scopes,some more expensive than others,that I just didnt feel confident in.Doesnt make me a gut shooter.

Just want a scope I can have confidence in.Having a scope you dont have confidence in,is not a bad thing.Keeping it is though.Nice to be able to come to a place like this to get advice so you dont make a mistake.And buy another one you dont have confidence in.

Example'I had a 3-9 Burris that I really liked,till my son and I were looking at a herd of elk one morning.I could barely make out shapes with it.But the 3-9 leopold I put on his rifle we could see the points on the antlers.Both good scopes.Both about the same price.Actually the Burris was about $50 more.But it showed me that I should have stuck with the Leopold like I did on the rest of my rifles.

Sorry I just dont see a problem with upgrading for any reason.

Another plus for the Leopold.If in the unlikely event you have a problem with it you only have to send it to Beaverton Ore.
What foriegn country,or half way or more across the U.S. would you have to send most of the other scopes to.

I bought a Ruger 77 7mm mag with a 3-9 Nikon on it from a friend.So far I like the Nikon.First one I have had any experience with.But seems very comparable to the Leopold.But I f for some reason I lose confidence in it I will buy anotherLeopold Vari xII to replace it with.

My 2 cents worth.