I appreciate the advice and help on choosing a muzzleloader, however, your thoughtful comments have led me to more questions. I noticed, thanks to one of your tips, that Cabelas is selling the T/C Black Diamond .50 cal for about $280. I noticed some of the other guns with bolt actions. Is it true that the true bolt action muzzleloaders completely protect the cap from the elements, therefore are illegal to use in our state?? Also, the MDM Buckwacka Magnum is a break-open muzzleloader. This gun looks really interesting and fun, however, the nature of the action again hides the cap from the elements, rendering it illegal for our state during muzzleloading season. True? Lastly, CVA makes a "Staghorn" and an "Eclipse" 209 Magnum muzzleloader for $99 and $119 respectively. Are they good rifles for the price, or junk, or somewhere in between? T/C also makes a muzzleloader for $199 called the "Wildcat". However, it has only a 22" barrel versus the 26" barrel on the Black Diamond and the 24" on the CVA's. I realize that a longer barrel will reduce noise, but does it also reduce recoil? Are longer barrels more accurate? I am not worried about the weight of the gun, hence, should I opt for a longer barrel? How much advantage will a 26 incher give me over a 24 inch barrel? Does anyone know the rate of twist on the T/C Black Diamond? The CVA's are a 1 in 28" twist. Is that going to give a guy good accuracy using conicals? Thanks again for all the help you guys and gals have offered. I truly appreciate having a place to ask local experts questions about hunting. Thanks. Brass