I have a CVA Hawken and a T/C Thunderhawk. Both rifles are plenty accurate for the job at hand.

The thing you might want to consider first is caliber. Both my rifles are .54, but there are fewer of them out there now days, as most sold are now .50 cals. I might suggest that you choose a .50 cal, if for no other reason than it will be easier to find one. I like my .54, and all of my gear is suited for that.

You need to find one that either uses Musket or #11 caps. Both mine use the #11 standard caps. The reason you might want to choose one that uses the musket caps is if you plan to shoot Pyrodex pellets. Some of the .50 cal rifles out there can handle 150 grain loads, 3 pellets. Lots of the rifles out there can use musket caps as well as #11 caps. #209 shotgun primers are not legal for use during the standard ML season in Washington.

I like my stainless rifle, as it is much easier to clean. Sure it isn't traditional, but it is weatherproof. Blue steel, black powder, and rain are a recipe for rust, no matter how clean and oiled you keep it.

T/C, Remington, CVA, and Knight all make quality rifles. Find one that meets the criteria listed above in your price range, and buy it.

One thing you will find when you hunt this way is that you won't have a lot of company out there, and the season is pretty long. I think I've taken 7 deer with my ML, and seldom has there been anyone around to hear my shot.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.