Originally Posted By: stam
The only thing on a fly reel that matters is the drag, the redingtons seem to do okay if you keep them greased properly, I've found with the long rods that anything less than a super smooth drag is a PITA.....smooooooooth is ALL that matters.

Hard part is that while they feel smooth in hand, some can load and release on a run...so buy the best you can afford, then make sure you use good grease on the drags... of course it only matters if you hook a fish.

Most flyfishermen could get by with a toys R us reel.

Says the authority who has fly fished all of what, twice, now? Indeed most fly fishermen could get by with a toys R us reel because most fly fishermen fish for trout and panfish, with the reel serving mainly as a line holder. However the original poster intends some saltwater use with his 8 wt rod. And for saltwater fish species, a good disc drag that operates smoothly, as Stam describes, is an asset for 8 wt and heavier. The main reason for choosing a disc drag reel for lighter line weights IMO is that they are usually cheaper than a good traditional spring and pawl reel. However, I have used spring and pawl reels on bonefish to good effect.

Coley likes his Lamsons. I don't have any experience with them, primarily because a friend used them and had the drag go into freewheel when it got wet. Maybe Coley has newer models of Lamsons that have an improved disc drag. Another reasonably priced reel that gets good reviews for saltwater use is the Ross CLA. The Allen reel I mentioned above holds 200 yd of 20# backing and a WF8F saltwater line and has been tested in Mexico.

Sg