Long story short: I got back from vacation to find Boris super-sick as a result of being fed human food. He ate a whole, cooked potato, that took over 30 hours for him to puke up. Unfortunately, that didn't stop the dry heaving. The larger problem was all the other rich, fatty food that he'd apparently eaten with the potato. He finally stopped dry heaving after nearly 60 hours and meds. Ended up with pancreatitus, swollen intestines, and swollen stomach walls but survived and should be mostly fine in two more days. While the story is worth posting simply as a reminder to not feed dogs fatty, rich foods, the real reason I'm posting is for owners of Boris' brothers and sisters.

In diagnosing the "human food" issue above, they had to take x-rays as it originally seemed like he has something stuck in his throat. The vet said the x-rays showed all of the bad food was out and that there were no blockages and therefore no surgery required.

Apparently, the radiologist looked at the x-rays today and happened to notice that two of his discs have "disc disease". Apparently, it is genetic and degenerative. They weren't overly concerned because there isn't much that can be done but suggested I start a joint supplement to slow down the process as much as possible. I certainly don't think it is worth any of Boris' siblings being checked specifically for this but if you ever HAVE to get x-rays, maybe have them take a look. Also, it may be worth it to add a joint supplement just in case.

I have not seen any outward symptoms of the problem but was told that if his rear end ever appears to weaken or move awkwardly that this might be the cause. As far as I'm concerned, Boris has been super healthy and happy so this news doesn't really affect me much. In no way is this posting a dire warning or any indication that I'm unhappy with Boris. My wife contantly begs me to pester Art about doing it again and, honestly, we'd jump at the opportunity to have another one from them if it ever happened.

I hope all the other ones are doing well!

-AP

Attachments
Boris120512.JPG