So today my class went on a "field trip" to a local mid coast hatchery,to learn about possible careers and see close up what they do.Me being the "fishing nerd" in my class of high school seniors i already know what they do,but came along to join in on the fun and ask the experts questions (pursuing a career working at the hatchery).
anyways enough with that mumbo jumbo....after helping sort some fish(fun as heck) and getting completely soaked,we went down to the river across the street to eat lunch before heading home.I noticed though the river wasn't super low,it was quite clear.This reminded me of the fact that i am handicapped when it comes to low and or clear water conditions for winter steelhead,and i just haven't been able to catch them unless the water has that nice solid green color.Ive tried numerous things;being stealthy,using lighter line,fishing choppy water,fishing,deeper water and so on..but i haven't had any luck at all.I have only been steelhead fishing for 2 years so i am a little inexperienced,but i thought after fishing low water quite a few times this year i would figure things out, only to be blanked with the exception of one trip i fished a run with an overhanging tree and a nice transition before the tailout,there was a chromer that attacked my esl twice but i wasnt able to get a good hookset.I almost always throw the nymph and indicator rig with either an egg sucking leech,or egg patterns; and im more of a small stream guy,so clear and low water is quite common on the waters i fish.So with all of that said, what should my next move be? i only have a few trips left before the season ends and i really want to see if i can get a steelhead in more difficult conditions. Any input is greatly appreciated

Brandon

Edited by brandon4455 (03/08/13 02:56 AM)