There's no trick to steel. It's just a matter of keeping your knife held at the SAME proper angle on both sides of the blade as you make a continuous down and across motion against the steel. Only problem with that is you can't really tell someone how to do it.

The only "trick" is to remember to tuck your thumb in to the handle of the steel, so you don't slice it off on accident as you are bringing the knife blade down towards your thumbs...in a series of rapid swings. Dangerous as all hell, but I still have all my digits and have NEVER cut myself using a steel. Ever.

Oh, and it takes practice, practice, practice, and more practice to be good with a knife and steel. And more practice then practice some more. wink

My great uncle was a butcher. I got my first pocket knife when I was 10, followed shortly by getting one of his hardened butcher steels. Been using one ever since. I inherited his set of steels.

Pretty sure it's true in that "they just don't make them like they used to" when it comes to knife steels.

That being said, the Worksharp is a great tool for *most* people (me included) to really get a basic knife, one that's been used and abused, exceptionally sharp. From there, if one has the experience, a few schwacks on a good butcher's steel is all one needs to keep the edge fit and sound.....until your Mom get's a hold of it and uses it to hack on one of your thick-ass plants in the back yard. So much for that edge.......and thank goodness for the Worksharp!

For the average user, using an average knife (we can't all be professional chefs, or inherit the family knives), it's a great tool that does an exceptional job on just about all levels of knives.

...and I've used the fine grit on my high end and they are fine. Sharp as [Bleeeeep!], too. wink