Failing grade for Alaska mine invites legal questions for EPA

An Environmental Protection Agency study concluded that a proposed mine in southwest Alaska that has generated lobbying and congressional hearings over the agency's review process would hurt native tribes in the area as well as salmon stocks.

At issue is whether the EPA has the legal authority to deny developers of the Pebble Mine, a proposed copper and gold mine in Bristol Bay, Alaska, a key Clean Water Act permit even though no formal application is on file.

The EPA, with Pebble opponents such as commercial fishermen, native tribes and environmental organizations, says it has all the information it needs to conduct an assessment. The agency said it used mining scenarios devised by a contractor for developer Northern Dynasty.

The final environmental analysis for the mine will be used to inform a potential regulatory decision .... http://washingtonexaminer.com/failing-grade-for-alaska-mine-invites-legal-questions-for-epa/article/2542255?utm_source=Washington%20Examiner:%20Politics%20Today%20Reoccurring%20-%2001/16/2014&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Washington%20Examiner:%20Politics%20Today

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government