"Okay, this is an honest question: How many of you consider the current state of winter steelhead fishing on Puget Sound rivers a "quality experience?" " -Skookum

I do.

I have fished both wild and hatchery fish my entire life in the Snoqualmie System. In my mind the experience of hatchery Steelhead fishing is a totally different experience then fishing wild Steelhead.

Hatchery fish are small, yes, but who cares, so are summer run. The December fishing on the Snoqualmie provides a quality fishery that's local. I average roughly five fish-on per trip in December and if I'm lucky I will land and keep three or four. Not a bad day in my book. The experience is still fun. The river is pristine, the fish fight good for six pounders and I get to go when ever time allows. The alternative is not fishing.

When the wild fish were available, I would shift gears and get into catch and release mode. I would fish different sections of the river, and use different tactics. In fact it was like having two different seasons and two different sets of expectations.

So for me, the hatchery experience is excellent.

Skookum, why are you hiding your name and affiliation?

I wont hide mine.

My name is Ray Gombiski and I enjoy catching hatchery Steelhead.