Real estate is all about location, location, location. With fishing we can add timing, timing, and timing. I've been making the trek each of the last three summers to Baker Lake to enjoy the relatively new fishery based on the successful recovery of Baker Lake sockeye salmon. The setting is stunningly beautiful, and sockeye are one of my favored table fish. But this year's run fizzled, with too few fish in the lake to justify the trip. So my oldest childhood friend and I ambled across the state to north central Washington to try our luck with the record sockeye run returning to the Okanogan.

Timing, ah yes, timing. A couple weeks ago barely 10,000 sox had crossed Wells Dam, but as of last mid-week the number had risen to just over 100,000, and there must have been at least 150,000 by the time we launched Friday morning. OK, that's pretty good timing. The flip side is all the wild fires that have occurred this past week and are still burning. As we came out of the Mexican restaurant in Brewster Thursday evening, we learned that the town of Pateros was being evacuated, and we could see the flames coming over the ride above town 6 miles away. Acrid smoke and ash were everywhere. At times we couldn't quite see across the river. The car, boat, and all camping gear are covered with ash. I've got major clean up chores ahead of me now. My inconvenience is truly minor compared to those who lost the approximately 100 homes to the wild fires.

The fishing is as good as you could expect, and the fishing method is the same as Baker or wherever sox are found. Okanogan sox are small, about 2 to 3 pounds, basically half the size of Baker and Lake Washington sockeye. They cut sockeye red though, and I'll see how they BBQ tonight.

Sg