Viper, twitchin' can be some of the most fun fishing you have ever done. Give it a try. The colors mentioned above are standard and will get you onto fish. FleaFlicker is right, the action of the floppy tail and the lead head drop is what triggers a strike. It is imperative to let the line go limp on the drop. Snap the rod tip up, then drop it and let it go limp. The fish will pick it on the drop, and you will feel it the next time you twitch it.

Arklier-It is not only used for slow water, if there are coho, or any other of the salmonids that we target for that matter, in runs or traveling water, "drift twitching" as I call it can produce very well. Basically just cast a bit up stream like the drift fisherman do, and twitch the rod normally like you would. The only difference is that with the retrieve you only reel in the slack so that it stays in the drift longer. Coho who are traveling or sitting in a run love this.

Drifter-I think it is helpful to clarify the "legally caught" comment. Greater than 90% of the fish that I catch twitching are honest biters with the jigs inside the mouth, and the hook usually in the top of the mouth as would be expected as the hook points up. Every now and then I will accidentally pull my jig into the belly of a fish, but this is certainly the exception not the rule. I just mention this to let those who haven't tried it know, twitched jigs drive predatory fish crazy and trigger strikes. Some of those who haven't tried it feel that this is modified snagging, which is absolutely not the case.

Also, I have twitched jigs in deep water to suspended fish. With that, I let the jig sink for as long as I think is appropriate and then start my twitching retrieve. You get used to the feel of the jig on the rod tip. If you don't feel the weight of the jig on the retrieve, reel down hard because the chances are you have a fish that is traveling towards you and he hasn't spit it out yet.

This is a lot of fun!

Edited by softhackle (09/03/14 11:12 AM)