Curt, correct me if I am wrong ;), but I believe the Snohomish River coho hatchery production is a supplemental program (for harvest) and is operated as a integrated (native broodstock) program. Per many previous discussions, a segregated program would best be utilized with a healthy wild stock as a base rather than "mine" wild river of origin adults from a system with depressed stocks. So seeing how the Snohomish coho are considered a healthy stock....why not.

The wild Snohomish river coho would probably be better off if there were no coho hatchery production however they can obviously tolerate the additional impacts (harvest) of the hatchery fish. Therefore, the hatchery fish provide additional harvest especially for the recreational fishers. Then there is the additional recreational advantage in mixed stock fisheries that allow only marked fish retention.

As far as the Eagle Creek coho program, some refer to it as a "feel good" program for the recs.....and I guess it is. It's also a bunch of hard working people from a variety of clubs, currently headed by the Everett Steelhead and Salmon club, raising 50,000 to currently 80,000 FIN-CLIPPED (by the clubs) coho to enhance coho recreational fishing, whether it be mixed-stock fisheries off the coast or in the straits, or local coho fisheries. I feel good about it.

Steelspanker:

No adult trap at Eagle Creek. There are however some pretty good engineered pool n' drops to help any returning adult "wild" or hatchery coho to do whatever they want to do.....

Edited by Beezer (09/25/14 12:07 PM)
Edit Reason: changed segragated to integrated in first sentence