The solution I think is fairly easy to craft. Implementing it however is likely impossible.

If I was charged with the task of trying to solve the snagging/flossing problem in AK and by some miracle was given unlimited resources to do it, I'd go at it as follows:

Snagging defined: Any method that hooks or attempts to hook a fish that has not willingly taken or that has not tried to take (bite) the anglers lure or bait.

1. Snagging is legal for sockeye only and anglers must retain the first limit of fish landed while snagging. Snagging is not allowed after a limit has been retained.

2. No snagging or attempting to snag allowed for other species.

3. Properly train enforcement agents in what legal vs. illegal fishing looks like.

4. Deploy a sufficient number of enforcement agents so as to regularly monitor high priority areas at key times and to maintain a timely response capability.

5. Provide incentives for those that report snaggers.

The biggest hurdle of course is #4 for most agencies these days.

As for that other note, I'll blame a few of the loosely connected and/or incomplete ramblings on late night IPA fueled philosophizing.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."