Failure to stick. I think top water is just like that most of the time. It's the same wogging for coho and mousing for rainbows. That having been said, more recently I've noticed that waiting a little longer to come tight and/or dropping a loop and introducing some slack gives the fish a chance to turn and get stuck. Getting bit on the hang down is just the same. Pull back too quickly and I miss sticking a lot of fish.

I know this style of fishing from the beach and getting bit on the strip is a different beast entirely, but perhaps there are some similarities in the mechanics of the bite and line/hook/set relationship?

In New Zealand they say that after a trout takes your dry fly you should say two "God save the queen's" then come tight.

In Bob's boat, it says "wait, wait, wait, pull"'or something close.

Old habits die hard and I am a serial hook setter in reform. More often than not these days I'm noticing that fish are pretty good at hooking themselves when you let them. Fishing with bobbers is certainly an exception and there are many others I'm sure.

Probably nothing new and I'm not sure if there are any parallels on the beach. Just some simple stuff I've been trying to tune into as of late.

Airmail!

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."