Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

Feature article in STS published back in Nov 1982 recalls a glory day 12 years previous. These five fish had a mean weight of 19 pounds. CRAZY!

Some mighty big coho used to swim in the lokal krik...

I believe it was the senior Dragoo that delivered a powerful and passionate testimony at a NOF meeting in Montesano City Hall about 5-6 years ago.

Now we've got nets 5 days a week targeting what few of these late wild coho remain.

That was the first issue of STS I ever bought back in high school. Kept it and read it til' the cover fell off and the pages came apart…..wish I'd taken better care of it and kept it. I never experienced the glory days of those late Satsop silvers but did get to shake hands a few times as I was just getting serious (and able to drive) about salmon/steelhead fishing as the run went from abundant to depressed. Magnificent fish.

There ARE still some around but the truly huge fish more often than not get selected out in gill nets and are just a remnant now. I was pleasantly surprised by a dime bright 17 lb buck Dec 26th a few years ago. Not my largest but the time of year was intriguing…….an affirmation that despite our best efforts to wipe them out, they persist in surviving.

Edited by Eric (11/21/14 11:59 PM)