Fishkisser99:

Here is how you set up the bobber/float herring rig. I usually use my 8-1/2 foot Lamiglass steelhead rod (Med. Hvy) with an Ambassador reel spooled with 15# test for Coho fisheries that don't have an opportunity for me to keep Chinnook.

You'll need the following:

* A large slip float (I usually use the large oval shaped styrofoam bobbers that come with a central "straw-like" hollow core shaft in the middle. These bobbers are capable of holding up a 2 oz. bannana(mooching) sinker.)
Note: sometimes these floats have a small ring weight at the bottom, I usually remove it.

* A 1-1/2 - 2 oz standard mooching lead.

* A solid tie double hook mooching leader. I usually tie up two 2/0 or 3/0 saltwater Mustads on 12# test. (You can use Gamakatsu, but I find that the points rust in the salt after you sharpen them, which creates dull hook problems.)

O.K. here we go thread the slip bobber onto your mainline,thread on a large bead, next tie on your mooching lead and then of course tie on your double-hook leader to the weight. I usually vary between a 2-1/2 -3 foot leader length. (remember you don't want to have to long of a leader otherwise casting can be difficult).
Finally, now you need a bobber stopper, take a small rubber band (the blue or green ones you find around your daily paper are the best) and tie one with a simple-half inch about 2-6 feet (depending on water depth)above your mooching lead. The idea is that
your only casting your leader length even though you maybe fishing 3-5 ft. below the surface due to the slidding bobber. The trick is the ability to zing this rig out there a ways without your herring falling off!

If your using a small spinning setup and want to go small, no problem just go to a 1-ounce mooching lead and a smaller slip float. If your after kings with this rig, "beef up" to a 17-20# mainline and 20-25# leader.

In the summer of 94 I worked for WDFW as a fish checker at Ilwaco. I fished the jetty every night after work and mastered the bobber/herring quite well. Upon examining the catch data over the summer, believe it or not, more coho were caught of the jetty per angler than on the Buoy 10 boat line. Recent years though the jetty has really been a big dissapointment.

The bobber/herring can be deadly, in the Sound in the summer of 97 I hooked into at least 30 ho's with this rig off of the beach (no, I'm not bragging, just simply stating a fact!!). I have to admit my usual hot spots have been sporadic at best over the last couple of seasons. I have high hopes this September though.

One last note either cast the rig out and let it sit or slowly reel it in. Most of the fish will hit on the reel in 10 feet from the beach. I use to be a die hard buzz bomber, haven't casted one in years.

P.S. Reel Truth, I wish my fishing was that exciting!

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks