Hi everyone- A few months back there was a lot of discussion about certain people carrying and even brandishing weapons during drifts on some of the more popular rivers. If I remember correctly one of the excuses for "packing heat" was to scare off bears....whatever. I do want to remind people of one very real hazard and get some of your ideas and thoughts. Last weekend I took the pontoon boat down the N.F. Stilly (Deer Creek to Cicero). About half way down I came upon a nice drift and decided to give it a shot. I backed the 'toon into shore at the top of the run and beached it. As I stepped away from the boat I heard a dog bark up the hill behind me...there was a house or two there so no big deal right? I waded out high-thigh deep when all hell broke loose! A very large Doberman and an equally large mixed breed came tearing down the hill straight into the water...and there was no question that they meant business. Fortunately, they were not willing to wade in over their shoulders. Unfortunately, they were between me and my escape (the pontoon) and all I had was a very expensive, 9ft graphite "doggy be good stick"...I was too deep to even reach down and grab a rock. After about 10 minutes of this standoff it also became clear that no one in the house(s) was going to come to my rescue anytime soon. Well, to make a long story not so, about 25 minutes later the beasts, apparently bored of watching this paralyzed moron stand in the river, slowly started walking back up the hill. When they were out of sight I made a dash for the boat, grabbed one of the oars, and made for the middle of the river where I jumped on and was on my way...the b@s%t*r#ds followed me down the bank for at least 100 yards-still losing their minds.

Lesson learned! As I look back on it though I can tell you that if I had been armed there would be at least one dog feeding the dollies down stream right now. However, now that I have calmed down a bit I am not convinced a gun is the right thing to have in the vest or on the boat for a lot of reasons.

Alternatives? I think a 34/34 Louisville Slugger (although effective) would get in the way of casting. Pepper spray seems like a possibility. Any ideas? Comments? Similar experiences?