Just bought a 1985 28' Bayliner (2850 Contessa Command Bridge) single engine I/O and I will want to put a kicker on it for fishing. So far, everyone has told me that only Yamaha make a 25" high output kicker worth considering - the T9.9. But at least one person has said the T9.9 can have a tough time pushing a 28' into the wind. The only other recommendation I've gotten could be to go up to the Yamaha T25 high output with the extender kit to make it a 25" shaft - it's heavy and expensive but perhaps worth considering. They say the Honda's aren't really high output. I know Evinrude makes a high output 15 hp but that's very heavy and expensive as well.

Will I be happy with the T9.9? Or do I bite the bullet and go up to the T25 or are there any other good options?

As long as I'm asking for free advice, any other suggestions? I'll be getting electric start, power tilt, remote throttle (in the aft deck) and hopefully remote throttle/steering like the TrollMaster Pro / Panther ElectroSteer. I might get the swim step cut down to mount the kicker direct on the transom. One consideration is how the kicker would work as a backup in case the big engine craps out.