Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
The Puget Sound Chinook recovery plan was issued in 2007, eight years after the fish were ESA listed. While recovery planning is required by the ESA, I don't know that a specific timeframe for those plans is required. PS steelhead were listed in 2007, soon to be nine years ago. I'm not sure what WFC hopes to gain from this latest lawsuit. After all, recovery plans don't recover species; they are guidance documents. Looking at the 10-year goals of the Chinook plan and what has actually been achieved in these nine years doesn't impress me nor make me very hopeful that PS Chinook will actually recover in the foreseeable future.

NMFS can show that the PS steelhead planning process is in the works. The technical recovery team was convened several years ago, and their draft reports will be finalized soon. And then development of the recovery plan will move forward, toward whatever end, but I don't see how it will do any more for steelhead than the Chinook plan has done for Chinook. I think people, including the TRT, are going to be very disappointed to learn that most PS river systems are presently at their wild steelhead carrying capacity, and that it would take a massive shift in freshwater habitat productivity, capacity, and diversity to significantly "recover" some of the former system-wide carrying capacity. There are some exceptions; given the recent very low marine survival rates, a few streams with extremely low spawning escapements are likely severely underseeded and below carrying capacity.

I'm biased of course, but I think this lawsuit is going to do about as much good for steelhead as pissing up a rope.

Sg

Agree with your conclusion... but your explanation has holes.

The PS Chinook recovery plan was "begun, in earnest" in 2001, less than 2 years following listing. Draft chapters (there were 14 or 15 in total) to the recovery plan were coming into shape as soon as 2003 with most being completed by 2004. All but one (?) were finished in 2005 and "review, editing and adoption" took another 2 years.

This is FAR different than what has transpired with the PS steelhead recovery plan. We don't even have a decent draft to look at and we stand at year 9 past listing. Leadership on this issue by the ESA agencies has been, for the most part, absent. Just within the last year or so has there been substantive "movement" towards getting a plan pulled together.

How bad is this mess? Again, we stand at year 9 and we still have no critical habitat designation for PS steelhead.

George W. Bush