I've never jumped in on a snagging forum before, so here goes.

There are two illegal types of fishing being talked about here. The setup being used on the Kalama is the same method employed by Sockeye fisherman in AK. It's called "lining", and it is at least somewhat of a crude art form. The long leader is the key, and when the fish swims by and bumps it, you set the hook, usually in its motor (tail). This method was "taught" to me my first year of fishing. (This guy still "fishes" the Sky, owns a sled and a wooden leg, anybody else know him?) I found out why these guys were the only ones catching the stacked-up, lock-jawed silvers. It took me until my 2nd year to realize that this is not fishing and I now abhor it. Hohwaiian, if I remember correctly, thinks this type of fishing is legal, as long as you get them in the mouth when they yawn or flex their jaws.

The other type of buzz bomb/hollow core lead/treble hook setups that are repeatedly yanked and jerked through holding water is done by total morons.

Snagging is only done by people who cannot catch fish the correct way, and are idiots.

TK