Originally Posted By: Krijack
Opportunity has fallen so much, it is becoming hard to justify the expense. I skipped hunting last year, as all my local areas are now pay to hunt, including the DNR land that now wants me to by the discover pass. Went from any weapon, any area for elk to choose your weapon and area. Several of the areas I used to hunt went from a open tag to a trophy tag, with no better opportunity. This year my local opportunity for salmon has just about disappeared. To add injury to insult, there are a couple of great clamming beaches near a rental I own. In the last past couple of years they have gone from being open all year to 1 month for one, and 2 months on the other. They stopped planting most of the local rivers, so if I want a realistic chance for steel head I have a minimum of an hour trip, more if I want to get into good fishing. The park I used to stop by at lunch and make a toss or two in, now wants a 3 dollar parking fee. It just never stops. I have probably went from being out doors around 80 to 100 days a year to around to 15, with only 3 or 4 of those being dedicated trips. I could go on, but it is actually quite depressing.

Totally agree with this as that diminishing opportunity and days spent outside are dwindling for sure! Getting tired of Jerry Springer re-runs myself eek Lots of great points here regarding out of state fishing too. I also agree with statement about the Skagit voiced here too what happened there???? My first steelhead was a Skagit fish as I well to enjoyed those Sauk C&R days too. I'll not live long enough to see it again unfortunately but both of those North Sound rivers are in my "backyard" along with my home river the Stilly! No use crying over spilt milk as I'm burning daylight... Just returned from Alaska after a great 7 days (Chinook, Coho, Yelloweye, Halibut, Rockfish and Sable fish off the 800 foot line) and plan on returning for Coho in late August too. Planning another trip to my old stomping grounds on the Yellowstone with the captain who lives in Livingston MT. that I've fished Alaska with now for three years for large Brown Trout in late October. If Washington state is showing you no LOVE at the moment there are other places out there> Trust me!