Had idea, it might be stupid? But looking for the legality of fishing w/out hooks on some of my intruder patterns on closed waters. Was thinking of spending some time skill honing on my local river this coming late winter when some nice nate Steelhead used to be around. I say used to, because it hasn't been open to fish for years. So, if I were to swing some hookless flys to practice on my closed local river would I get a ticket? I am thinking I still could get a tug, but w/o hooking up, at the same time build confidence that i'm doing things right. I've only been swinging flys for Steelhead for 6 years, caught a couple, but still have lots to learn.
I became hooked Spey swinging in 2010, on a trip to the legendary Dean R. BC. A friend couldn't make it and asked me to take his spot. What a place to go to swing for the very 1st time. Multiple hookups every day. Spoils you quick, but inspired me to do it here.
I know it sounds crazy, but driving to the coast every time to make a few casts is crazy also and I need the practice, casting, playing around w/ tips, reading productive water, and also scouting for the day it may reopen. Thoughts?