Thanks Coley! Todd Moen makes the best fishing videos I have seen. This one really captures the essence of steelhead fishing - a whole lot of fishing with not much catching. Certainly reminds me of winter steelhead fishing lately.

Brett, to your question, it looks like the angler got grabs when the fly was on the hang down, which is the hardest way possible to get a solid hookup. Setting the hook simply pulls the fly away from the fish. What is happening is that the fish flares its gills to inhale it. Sometimes I get a good hook up by feeding a foot or two of line to the fish so that the fly drifts back when the fish inhales and there's enough slack line for the fish to turn with the fly without feeling too much line resistance. This results in a good hook up maybe one out of two, one out of three times. Not a high percentage move, but better than zero.

Love WOG fishing for silvers. I keep meaning to get back to AK during a silver run. The top water attack, when a silver comes after a WOG with its dorsal fin out of the water, all shark like, and then it pounces on the fly, that's about as exciting as salmon fishing has ever been for me. Yes, it's hard on the elbow; it hurts so good. There's so many things going on at that time of year, it's impossible to do it all.

Edited by Salmo g. (01/17/17 08:58 AM)