Anyone who wonders why fishing is so cruddy should look at the planting numbers. The Green gets 16000 winter runs and the Puyallup gets none, but the White, which is basically off limits, gets 32,000. The Quillayute system gets 179000 while the sooez (on Makah Reservation) gets 204000. I am not sure why the tribe finds it possible to put out as many as they want but the state keeps finding ways to limit the production. Seems a bit off. I mean really, more fish planted in the Sooez than the Snohomish system, Green, and Puyallup rivers combined. With the die offs in the Cowlitz program, they probably even get more winter runs platted than that system. Getting pretty ridiculous.
This came up because I was wondering about the lack of fish at the barrier dam when I stopped by yesterday. Well, looks like last year on the 7th they had a bout 1200 back and this year on the 3rd they had about 320, with about 89 for the past 5 days. They also have just about half the springers of last years return. Pretty dismal.

I would love to find some fish but I guess I have to settle the almost non-existent opportunity.