I'm writing an advocacy speech in my public speaking class at UW and my topic is to ban gill-nets in Washington state. The current problems with gill-nets are that they are not a sustainable means of fishing in the fact that they are not selective in their harvest of fish. However, what I'm not aware of is who is responsible for their establishment in our fisheries and what can be done to get them removed.

From what I understand, they are currently used by commercial fishermen as well as the tribes. I have ZERO PROBLEM with either as to the fish they are harvesting, however I feel as though a more selective method would do wonders for native and endangered fish populations such as our beloved steelhead.

Currently I'm looking to find information as to who is to "blame" (where it stems from) for gill nets usage in our fisheries, data of fish mortality and by catch rates, and the steps individuals would need to take in order to get them banned in both tribal and commercial sectors.

While I understand this in the end may prove difficult, I'd ask what would need to be done (in theory) if everything went perfectly for them to be banned. I have done a bit of research on my own but that only goes so far compared to the years of experience I know people have with this topic.

I appreciate any feedback as its all helpful and would like to repreat that this is only for a class project. Thanks!