FleaFlickr02,

I think you're shortchanging the WDFW Commission(ers). Delegation is the logical method to have WDFW policy implemented by the agency. The hired and paid Director and staff should perform the will of the Legislature as expressed in applicable WACs and execute policy expressed by the Commission. Commissioners are unpaid public servants. I have attended a lot of Commission meetings and met with a few out of session over the years. I've never met one who wasn't personally dedicated to public service and protecting the state's fish and wildlife resources. They also discover that the job is vastly more complicated than they envisioned before being appointed. Nonetheless, even after learning how difficult the tasks are, many accept appointment to a second and even third term.

As for accountability, it's there. Commercial fishing interests, who I above mentioned talk to the Legislature, where the real power is, instead of Commissioners and the Director, have influenced their like-minded State Senators to withhold confirmation of many of the Governor's appointees. More recently they influenced the Governor to remove Miranda Wecker, who was perhaps the most effective Commissioner ever in its history. They have tried several times to have other Commissioners removed or appointments prevented. I could only wish we might be so effective when it comes to holding them accountable.

Bofus,

Welcome, and thanks for expressing your opinion.

Sg